Words Juber Ahmed
“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius.
Though these words might have been mentioned many centuries ago, they still ring true today for the vast majority of us. Stress is a phenomenon that is widely experienced by many around the world. However, it’s important to remember that something like stress can be managed if the correct methods are explored. Whatever you choose to do, it’s key to take some time out to unwind to avoid mental and physical issues.
Here are five ways to manage stress:
1. Exercise – exercise improves one’s mood and helps relax the mind and body. You can choose from brisk walks, swimming, jogging or any other sport of your choice. Aim to exercise for around 2 – 3 hours a week and choose multiple forms of exercise to keep it interesting.
2. Relax Your Mind & Body – stress causes the muscles to become tense. Loosening them therefore becomes a necessity. You can do this by taking a hot bath, sleeping, reading, and meditating.
3. Eat Well – research shows that those who wish to regulate their mood and stress levels, should maintain a well-balanced diet. Consider including foods such as fruits, lean protein, and whole grains. Be cautious about skipping meals as this can aggravate stress. Check with your doctor if you’re body lacks any vitamins and consider taking supplements.
4. Take Breaks – we all need these. Our world is filled with fast-paced movements and decisions. Therefore, retreat and catch a break. You can take part in calming activities such as meditating, yoga, and praying or spending time outdoors.
5. Pursue a hobby – reading and writing are some of the biggest stress relievers. But these aren’t the only options. Research shows that people who take time out to pursue a hobby suffer less from stress and depression. Participating in exciting activities can alleviate many forms of stress and help pass time.
Main image credit – Luis Villasmil
Buy the digital issue for only £1.99 or the hardcopy for only £3.99 today! Click here