The month of Ramadan is just around the corner.
So, let’s take a look at what we need to remember and do during this holy month.
- Recite the Quran as much as you can – This is the month that the Quran was revealed, so try your best to recite and make time for the Quran; especially during the last ten nights of this blessed month. Remember that the reward for reciting the Quran in this month is increased, so make the most of it.
- Constantly ask for forgiveness – You must strive and do your utmost to gain the mercy of Allah; especially in the last ten days of Ramadan. The best times for seeking forgiveness from Allah are before suhoor, before breaking the fast and after you pray Tahajjud.
- Increase in Dhikr (Rememberence of Allah) – The more Dhikr you do, the more you will feel at peace in your mind and heart. It also gives you a sense of Taqwa (fear of Allah).
- Make dua – Dua is very important during Ramadan, especially during the last ten days of the holy month. Making dua will fill your heart with reassurance. Allah listens to all your prayers, so keep raising your hands to your Lord. No believer makes a dua that is wasted.
- Assess and evaluate yourself – For many this holy month will bring about a change in them for the better. Fasting not only helps suppress your hunger, but it can also provide you with the opportunity to evaluate yourself. Think about why you have stopped the things you usually partake in outside of Ramadan and ask yourself: Should I go back to those sins that I commit or reduce and finally stop committing them?
- Help your parents – Your parents; most of the time your mother cooks your meals for you. Ramadan is no different. Always lend a hand to your mother during this holy month. Whether that is with the housework, shopping or cooking; be there to give her that support.
- Control your anger – Everyone gets angry at some point, but in Ramadan, try to remain calm and collective and control yourself. Always remain patient, even during any hard times that you may
- Give to charity – Give as much as you can to the poor and needy this month. Whether that is money or feeding a homeless person; do your best to give to others that are less fortunate. Even a smile is charity. So, make someone’s day by giving them a smile.
- Consume healthy foods – Ramadan is the month where the foods tend to get oily and the stomachs expand. However, it is important to consume a healthy diet during this month. Unhealthy foods will only decrease your energy levels and make your body more sluggish, which you don’t need. Instead, consume foods that are healthier and give you energy. You don’t have to turn to unhealthy foods during this month. Keep your energy levels high with the right foods.
- Be truthful – Lying is a sin anyway, so especially during Ramadan refrain from it. Don’t do anything that adds sins to your list. Always utter the truth from your lips. Don’t give your tongue the chance to talk against you on the day of judgement.
Keep these ten important reminders in mind and have a blessed Ramadan!
By Asra Mir